Sunday, July 26, 2009

Me Myself & Lies


So hear I go - taking a deep breath as I attempt to share with you a bit of what I've been learning over the past few weeks....
....I just finished the most amazing - life changing - Bible study entitled "Me, Myself and Lies" by Jennifer Rothschild. I had NO IDEA what was in store for me as I dove into the Bible and the book along with some friends this summer. The study was all about taking a long, hard look at what we are letting our minds dwell on each day - each hour and even minute, really. And not just the things that we purposefully think about, but also the things that just kind of pop into our heads but then kinda stick around and fester for a while. After looking at these things, and realizing that many times my "thought closet" was full of hurtful labels, worries and fears, I then began to learn how to completely replace those things with the Truth from God's word, and get rid of that "stinkin' thinkin'". It's been amazing (for me) to see the trasformation in my thinking and trusting...I'm just so glad that our Heavenly Father never gives up on us and is ALWAYS at work in us until the day He brings us home. Praise Him!

So here are a few things from the book that especially hit home for me...
"Who I am, and what I struggle with are NOT the same thing."
"Start paying attention to where your thoughts are wandering during an idle moment."
"To dwell on untruths is to hold His truths in low regard."
How often do we waist our emotions - because we are not exercizing faith.
"A surplus of emotion usually preceeds acting without wisdom."
"You can't always control which thoughts pop up, but you can control through God's Spirit, what you do when one knocks. Be alert and say - no entry."
"Trust God more than you trust your feelings and abilities..."
"HOPE will ground you, anchor you, and make you unshakable."
"You may not FEEL equiped for the battle, but you are equiped."
(All of these in quotes are by Jennifer Rothschild)

These are just a few highlights from 6 weeks of study - and of course she had us always diving in to the Bible - I have many verses that I've now added to my offensive weaponry. Here's a new favorite....
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry "Abba (Dad!) Father". The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in His sufferings in order that we may also share in His glory.
I added the "Dad!" :)

If you ever have the opportunity - I would highly recommend this Bible study! ...And a little "shout out!" to my Bible study girlies - I love you guys and I'm so thankful for you!

So, there ya go - a little peek into my journey through God's word this summer....can't wait for the next one. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Megan - I am so glad to know you had a great and challenging Bible Study! It sure does make me miss you and the other gals down South. But I am pleased to hear about your growing faith and love of the Lord (I just wish I could be there in person!) I have heard so much about this study, and your post is the final motivator for me to go through it too.

Hope all is well - I miss you bunches!!
Love, Jo

Followers