Friday, September 3, 2010

Today...




...we had a lovely morning nature study outside. (After Bible and scripture memory as usual) The first thing we saw (and heard) was a cardinal. We watched it for a little while with binoculars. Emma is getting very good at recognizing the songs of many different birds - especially the cardinal, blue jay, and dove. You should hear her bird call...very amusing! I'm not quite sure how she does it, but it actually sounds very much like a dove!


Next we found a large grasshopper that didn't seem to be the least bit afraid of us, nor did it care one bit when we caught it for observation. We studied it, read about it, and made a nature journal page. Here E and A are with the grasshopper right before we let it go. It really wasn't scared of us at all...it finally did decide to hop away though.
This is the blog we use for nature study...wonderful!


So we did move on to more "schoolish" things after that...math, geography, copy work, hymn study, poetry and reading for today. Afterward Emma spent the afternoon having "school" for Alex...much to his delight. This is one of those things that I just loooove! First she taught him to read; then they went into her room for a well over an hour doing more school. I think she was teaching him math, then I heard Tchaikovsky echoing down the hall...looks like Emma has studied up on Charlotte Mason as well! LOVE it! :)

It's been a wonderful day...something about the clouds, cooler temperature, and a little rain...it's refreshing. It's His joy that comes in the morning. And the rest of the day, as well...

2 comments:

Brandy Webb said...

What a fun day! Can we come over and play too? Thanks for updating... I do check even though we live in the same town :) Have a wonderful weekend!

Tina Hollenbeck said...

Hi! I'm writing back in response to your comments and questions about MFW on my Being Made New blog. First, I'm very glad if my post could help you sort through some things in your mind. I will tell you that I, too, was using Ambleside and SCM before finding MFW...and was simply overwhelmed with all the work. So, as you're considering, I switched to MFW because it seemed to have all I was looking for and mostly already planned - and I was not wrong! :^) So, yes, I highly recommend it as a way to simplify your life and give your kids a wonderful CM-friendly education.

As for using Adventures with both your kids, yes, I would say it can be done. As you're already thinking, just be sure to alter some of the reading and writing for your younger one. And, in addition, I would highly encourage you to do some phonics, handwriting, math, and, perhaps, spelling at his level, too. In other words, do the MFW core stuff - history, science, Bible, some language arts, and the art and music (if you get the deluxe package) together, but do the 3Rs mostly separate so each child's developmental needs can be met. I think that would work great. And you can continue that way through the MFW 5-year core after Adventures.

If you have any other MFW-related questions, feel free to drop me a line. Always happy to help out where I can. :^)

Followers